It is said that everyone has a dream but relatively few people believe that they can actually achieve it. Nevertheless, some people do achieve their dreams while others live lives of regret. Some are inspired and follow through with transformative action, whilst others delay or even give up entirely; settling, in exchange, for whatever comes along.
So, what are the factors that make that difference between the person who achieves and the one who ends up with nothing but regrets?
Here are three simple keys that can help you on the way to getting to live the life of your dreams:
1. Get Yourself Motivated
Everyone has their own motivators so consider what benefits await you when you finally do achieve your goal. It might be financial freedom, more free time or a second home in the Caribbean. Whatever it is, remind yourself of those things on a daily basis.
- Having pictures of your dream Caribbean home hung on the fridge or in your work space will remind you of your dream and fire your mind with motivation.
- When you suffer inevitable setbacks or frustration, a visible reminder of your dream will help motivate you to do what is necessary to get back on track toward your goal.
It is also important to give yourself rewards along the way. Rewarding yourself after making a breakthrough such as acquiring a new client or learning a new computer skill is absolutely necessary to keeping your spirits high along the route to your goal.
- Treat yourself to a nice dinner, take the day off for a game of golf or reward yourself with something else you like. Your reward will give you a refreshing break from the trials and tribulations on your path to success and bring you new energy to continue working toward your goal.
Giving yourself a reward as you reach important milestones along the way will reinvigorate your determination to succeed.
2. Remember the Peas
As they they particularly poor planning produces particularly poor performance! You might have heard a variant of this expression 😉
Although developing a proper plan may seem a rather obvious step if you want to achieve your goals, many people overlook or downplay the importance of the planning process and then wonder why they aren’t moving forward. So be sure to take the time to plan your path toward greater success.
Once you have a broad plan to reaching your goal, you must fine-tune all the details. Get it down on paper and determine the steps necessary to make that goal a reality.
- Put a time frame on it.
- Put all excuses aside and set a deadline for each step.
- Be realistic with regard to your own competencies.
Creating a realistic step-by-step plan with a deadline will bring your dream to life. Setting definable, measurable little steps will energise you and enable you to follow your plan to success.
3. Stay in Motion
Lastly, no dream or goal can be achieved without action. When you’ve developed your plan, you need to commit to following those little action steps on a daily basis.
- Your little steps are the route to your treasure.
- Stay in motion and follow your plan.
- Each step you complete brings you closer to your goal.
- Evaluate your actions and revise your plan as necessary.
- If a particular step fails, then be adaptable and change it until you find a method that works for you.
Motivation, planning and action are three keys that can enable you to create and live the life you’ve always wanted. It may take you some time, but so what? Better to be on the right path than to be a victim of circumstance. Remember, as one wise person once said, “a person going nowhere … usually gets there!”