Making progress toward our dreams is often a scary process because our dreams should be big dreams. As some wise person once said, you might as well dream big dreams. So if your dreams are big dreams, that means you will have to move out of your comfort zone to achieve them and, by definition, that is scary stuff.
In the final article in our series on living without fear, we take a look at more techniques you can use to eliminate fear and take control of your life. You can use these tips to help you conquer any fear.
Even implementing just one of these techniques each day can give you the courage to persevere. The most important thing is to take action.
All day long, you’re involved in a dialog with yourself inside your mind. When a fearful thought presents itself, first acknowledge it, then say something positive to yourself. If an image of failure shows up, replace it with an image of success.
Affirmations are positive statements that you repeat to yourself every day to change negative beliefs into positive ones. You really can change your life with affirmations, one thought at a time.
Make your affirmations positive, present tense, and personal (i.e. use the words “I”, “me”, and “my”) for the best effect.
Here are some good fear-reducing affirmations to get you started:
- Life is a great adventure and I look forward to what is to come.
- I plan my work for success and work my plan.
- I feel courageous and ready to take on the world!
- I can handle any obstacle with confidence in my pursuit of my dreams.
- I enjoy each moment to its fullest.
- I take action every day to reach my goals so I can live the life I desire.
Write some of your own affirmations that counteract your personal fears, and then repeat them every time you feel anxious or worried.
Pray and Meditate
Prayer and meditation can be a great help to melt away stress, fear or worry and relax you at the end of your day. It can also energize you and strengthen you for the day ahead. So take advantage of its special quality to eliminate your fears and bring peace to your life.
A Simple Meditation Technique:
- Go into a quiet room, close your eyes and clear your mind. A good way to do this is to focus on nothing else except your breathing until your mind quiets down. Take slow, deep breaths.
- Once your mind has settled, take yourself to a happy place. Imagine a place where everything is good, beautiful, and peaceful. Enjoy just being there in peace.
- Then visualize all your fears floating away. Think of them as clouds of smoke, dissipating in the gentle breeze. You breathe in courage and purity and breathe out fear.
- With your fears gone, think of all the benefits of your life without fear. Imagine yourself having already achieved your dreams with courage and ease.
- Feel the positive emotions – the joy and pride of being present in the moment. Let this excite and energize you.
- When you meditate every day like this, it gets easier to master your fears because you’re choosing a peaceful heart over a stirred soul.
Do Something You Love
You can release your fears by journaling, painting, exercising, or engaging in any other activity that helps you to relieve tension and anxiety.
Do Something that Frightens You.
You’ll never know just how much control your fears have over you until you confront your fears head on. Just do it, even if you’re scared. Once you’ve faced your fear and made it through, you’ll feel like you can face anything, and you’ll develop your courage too.
- Take this one step at a time. For example, if you fear public speaking, start out by just talking to a stranger. Then, push yourself further and extend your comfort zone little by little.
- As you develop courage, you’ll often find that other fears dissolve away. In your mind, things won’t faze you as easily and, if you can tackle that fear, you have the power to take on anything!
Your fears are a natural part of what is is to be human. But don’t allow them to get in the way of pursuing your dreams because you can certainly overcome them. You can reach out for your dreams or let them wither and die. My hope is that you will overcome your fears and go for the life you were born to live.